Tuesday, February 16, 2010

You're Such a Luger

While I was waiting for the accredited shuttle to go up the hill this afternoon, I noticed a bunch of Sochi guys standing around by the security tent. I asked the driver if he knew what they were doing here, and he said "they're trying to decide if they want Thai or Indian food". I didn't quite know what to make of his joke, and then he clarified "I don't know". "Do you know if they're coming or going?" I pressed him, just because I was curious and wanted to know whatever information he could tell me. "They're leaving - because Whistler doesn't have any Thai food". Not only was this really not very funny, I had a Thai Chicken Wrap for lunch in the Workforce Break Tent today.

Just before the shuttle pulled away, a VANOC "smurf" (they have all-blue uniforms and there are thousands of them, so they've been nicknamed "smurfs") and two Ukranian athletes climbed aboard. "Athletes?!" the bus driver exclaimed. "I get to drive athletes?!" he carried on, fist pounding the two men as they got on. Not getting much reaction from us, he said "You can tell they're bobsled guys because they sat right behind each other". "No, they're lugers," the smurf said, "they compete tomorrow" (which means they're doubles lugers - a team of two people per sled). "Hey, my sister used to always tell me that I was a luger too!" the bus driver cracked, which is so old and obvious that it just wasn't funny. The Ukranians didn't laugh. I got off at the second stop, and wished them luck before I scooted out of there.

In other important news, Jono labled all the nipple grabbers (or "nipple crushers" as he calls them) in Sharpie with nicknames for each worker. Ina's says "The Germinator" because she's German, Steph's is "De Groot The Mad Root" because her last name is De Groot. Culley's says "Ivan Milat", who Jono explained was a crazed serial killer in Australia (Jono and Culley are both Aussies), and Jono's says "Optimus Prime". After lunch, however, Ina's and Steph's were missing and in looking for them I found Libor's which is named "Ice Cold Baby". On another side "Be Aware I Bite" is written, and on yet another side it says "Steal me and I'll crush your nipple". Needless to say, I didn't let either of the girls take that to replace their missing ones.

 

 

While I was writing this, another strange thing happened. Erin, who works for VANOC in SCW (snow, cleaning, waste) came into my office and asked if she could take off her longjohns. "I can't do it in my office or the door would come flying open" she explained. Awkward! Fortunately she did it quickly and I had my blog to distract me!

No comments:

Post a Comment