Friday, February 19, 2010

Go Lemonade

Obviously it was impossible to imagine before arriving in Whistler what this experience would make me feel. That being said, I am still surprised at one thing I don't feel, which is a strong national pride for being American. Let me explain.

Freshman year I went with Professor Drohan, my fellow Cleanevent Intern Colleen, and my Providence roommate Laura to a panel discussion at Brown University in which human rights and sport were discussed in relation to one another. One of the presenters spoke about the Olympics, and his position was that the focus of the Games on representing one's country was detrimental to the original spirit of the Games. He contended that the Games began as a laying down of arms between nations and a peaceful, neutral convocation of athletes to compete as individuals. At the time that I heard this, my mind was not open to this concept. Especially after Salt Lake City in 2002, the first Games I remember watching, I couldn't imagine removing patriotism from the fabric of the Olympics. To me, that was exactly what the Games were about.

Now that I'm here, however, I finally understand what he meant and I agree with his position. I am not ashamed of being American, and I root for our athletes and am proud of our ranking in the medals count - all to an extent. I cheer loudest for Canadian athletes. Not as a sheep being led blindly with the crowd, but out of appreciation for what these Games mean to Canada. Their excitement is contagious, and I recognize how much it means to their athletes to compete on home soil.

Not only am I happy for Canada, I have the deepest respect for every single athlete from every part of the globe. One of the main slogans here, that's found on posters and signs, in shop windows and on the buses, is "Go Canada Go!". The slogan of Visa, however, is "Go World" (in French it's Go Le Monde, which looks like Go Lemonade if you glance at it quickly). I love that. That's how I feel. I root for every single competitor who steps up, puts their health and safety on the line, and gives every molecule of their heart, energy, strength, and passion into challenging the limits of their sport. Nationality has nothing to do with that. Nothing.

I covered a shift for someone in the Camp Cleanevent office on Wednesday night and from there I watched the Men's Halfpipe snowboarding competition. An Australian girl in the office was badmouthing Shaun White and criticizing her friend on the phone for rooting for him since he was American. I was not offended by this because I, too, am American but because he deserves respect for the dominance he has earned in snowboarding. He puts in the work, the time, the effort. He develops new tricks, advancing his sport. He has his fair share of falls and crashes (Winter X-Games practice, for example). And he excels. He does what no one else can do. How can anyone fault him based on where he was born?

Everyone is going to have their favorite athletes. National pride will never be removed from the modern Olympic Games. The host country will always have full bragging rights. But please remember, as we enter the final week of Vancouver/Whistler's Games, that even a 15th place finisher from Latvia is capable of doing something you or I could never imagine achieving, and that deserves our utmost respect and admiration.

 The bags from the Official Olympic Store. Each has an English and a French side.

Go Lemonade!

1 comment:

  1. you are amazing! I'm still loving your blog! Love the way you write, think, remember and connect events. Love the cool photos you have taken and the talent you have of capturing such an immense experience and explaining each important moment so we feel like we are apart of it!!
    can't wait to see you all when you return! Did I mention that I really want you and the rest of the girls to come into my classes and talk about you experience?! okay?
    Continue to have fun and push past your exhaustion to see and experience all that you can!!
    kd

    ReplyDelete