Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Day Away - Review of Advice

I depart tomorrow for what is sure to be an adventure of a lifetime.

There are so many questions running through my zealous mind, so many imaginative scenarios playing themselves out in my head. It's as if my toes are dangling over a deep, black ravine and I'm just waiting for someone to turn on the lights. I want to know if I should dive gracefully into cool, refreshing water below, or if it's better to skip across a nearby bridge built safe and sturdy across the gap, or if I should take the challenging yet rewarding path of climbing down one side and up the opposite. I'm anxious for someone to flip the switch and allow me to see and assess the situation, so that I can strategize my approach.

I have received numerous pieces of sound advice, all of which I will attempt to keep in the forefront of my brain.

A fortune cookie I opened the other day, for instance, read: "pursue your wishes aggressively". Anyone who knows me knows that those words are essentially preaching to the choir. I don't know how not to do that. And, for the record, I prefer the term "assertive" to "aggressive" - the latter has violent and rude connotations which I do not condone nor embody.

Words of wisdom that will be harder for me to internalize come from a professor who apparently knows me better than either of us would have expected. He said: "remember to be patient as the experiences unfold around you". I'll need to expend extra effort to live up to this one, but I recognize that it is advice which should be heeded. I take an oath here and now to do my best to practice patience despite the electric atmosphere that I'm sure will engulf me.

"Take every advantage of your time there" is another tidbit I have gleaned from the encouragement I have received. I intend to use this blog to reflect on each experience I find myself in, no matter how seemingly insignificant, because I believe the opportunity to learn and grow can be hidden within unlikely packages.

A former Olympic blogger that I contacted also had some valuable insights for me:
  • "Take some chances". Athletics is all about pushing oneself to go the extra mile, about challenging all boundaries. The Olympics, as the pinnacle of athletic competitions, represent that spirit and I intend to adopt it as well. I look forward to finding fulfilling ways to step outside my comfort zone and into something extraordinary.
  • "Talk to fans from other countries". This is perhaps one of the things I am most eager to do during my time at the Games. There is something intangible that I love about "fans"; they have an inherent passion that soaks into their words and actions, and it fascinates me. Add that to my own passion for diversity and cultural awareness, and I will be as giddy as a kid on Christmas while interacting with the international population of tourists. 
  • "Stay out late". Basically, I am prepared to get minimal amounts of sleep during this internship. The original information we received from Cleanevent listed our hours as 7:00AM - 6:00PM. Add on top of that trying to gain viewing access to the medals ceremonies, attempting to mingle with the athletes, and socializing with Cleanevent's international workforce (and any other people we may meet), plus taking the time to reflect properly on each day's activities - I figure that leaves about four hours of rest per night. But the way I see it, it's only for three weeks and then I'll be on spring break. As long as I get enough energy to power my body out of bed, adrenaline and excitement should take care of the rest.
  • "Go to events you might not usually have thought you'd enjoy". The only sport being held in the mountains that I am fairly familiar with is Snowboarding Halfpipe. I know hockey and figure skating both very well, and will embrace the opportunity to expand my winter sports palate to include more obscure events such as skeleton and biathlon. Reverting back to my fascination of fans, I must say I have a deep respect for diverse enthusiasms. Everyone has something that they get out of bed for - mine may not be skeleton, but it may bring someone else unspeakable joy. Witnessing a fan become overwhelmed by emotion due to the triumph of their idol will more than make up for my lack of knowledge of the sport. 
Lastly, everyone I speak to advises me to "Have fun!". It may sound like a no-brainer, and to me it essentially is, but I know from experience - especially with internships - that there are people who will always find one small thing to complain about, and it will impact their ability to move past it and simply have fun. Rest assured that I will not fall victim to that state of mind. This past October I volunteered at a marathon on the day of which there was a driving wind, pelting rain, and frigid temperatures. I still had fun. I helped an elderly runner get into his warm clothes, since his fingers were too cold to function properly --- that is the strongest, most meaningful memory I took from that day. No matter what hardships and obstacles I may face during this internship, the one thing I guarantee is that I will have fun.

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to following your adventures!
    My advice----be safe!
    I love you,
    Mama

    ReplyDelete